Sunday, March 16, 2014

Weekend Post 1 What Is Race To Me

My race is white. Well that's how most of the world sees it. My dad and mom are actually both Colombian however, I am Caucasian. In my school people call me gringo and white.It Turns out I am neither of those races its an invention created by society to separate the upper class from the lower class.There is no denying being white has benefits.

In the film "Race: The Power of an Illusion" they say that in society whites earn more than blacks. Its true. i ask myself which are the richest country where there is less poverty? The United States and the United Kingdom are the first names that pop to my head. Ghetto neighborhoods in the US are made up of Hispanics and African Americans. I know this from first hand experience because when i first moved into the United States we had no money and we lived in a pretty bad neighborhood.Race to me exists but as an invention society created, its a classification, and it its like a dice you cant roll. 

 Citation:
  • Pounder, C C. H, Larry Adelman, Jean Cheng, Christine Herbes-Sommers, Tracy H. Strain, Llewellyn Smith, and Claudio Ragazzi. Race: The Power of an Illusion. San Francisco, Calif: California Newsreel, 2003.
     


No comments:

Post a Comment